Sunday, April 5, 2009

I LOVE Conference!!!

As a child General Conference was not always my favorite, that's bad to admit :( Although I do remember feeling the spirit from time to time, I definitely did not look forward to sitting for 2 hours and listening to the talks. As I grew into my teenage years, I felt the spirit more yet I still did not have the "love" of conference that I witnessed in others. Although, I was always excited to see the prophet and hear his words. Now I can officially say I LOVE conference!! The word "Conference" has became an event for our family, full with traditions and full of the Spirit! I feel so blessed to be able to watch conference in our home! There is something very special about hearing the words of the Prophet and the Lord's chosen echo through the walls of my own home.
On conference Sunday we enjoy sleeping in a little late and Ran making a big breakfast. We then collect Friend magazines, church books, puzzles, etc. to keep the little ones busy. We bring out ALL the treats!! (everyone chooses any treat they would like from the store the evening before) Finally Ran brings up a mattress from the tent trailer to put on the floor. Funny story about that..... I have always slightly disliked the entire mattress deal: hard to walk~easier to fall asleep...until yesterday. I was watching conference and Rae walked in and saw me, saw the TV and said, "Where's the mattress?" The mattress is a tradition to her, well all the kids....I can handle it for a few hours ;) Then we enjoy watching conference, snacking, taking notes and feasting on the words of our leaders. Between sessions we go on a family walk to our neighborhood play ground and today enjoyed a game of tag! (Ran and I are s-l-o-w) We then try to eat some real food before returning to our snacks for the 2nd session. I have grown to LOVE General Conference and this special Sunday with my family!

2 comments:

danette said...

Those are some great ideas, thanks for sharing how you make it fun for the whole family :).

Heidi said...

That is a cool story! We do a similar thing for conference. We bring lots of blankets and pillows into our TV room. It drives me nuts too, I like a clean room to watch conference, but the kids love it and wouldn't have it any other way.

I wonder if President Monson knows that people eat popcorn and have rootbeer floats while watching his talk?! :)